Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Tot Food::Zucchini Tots

Adelei has been eating what I like to call Big Girl food for quite a while now.
I'm not going to lie, sometimes it gets boring.
And sometimes I can tell she gets tired of the same ol' same ol'.
So I've been on a mission to expose her to more variety.
Thanks to pinterest, this hasn't been hard at all.
Today we tried our first toddler recipe.
Not only was it super easy [prep work was less than 5 minutes!], Adelei loved it, and I did, too!
I will definitely be making these more often.


1 cup zucchini, grated
1 egg
1/4 yellow onion, diced
1/4 cup cheese (cheddar or Parmesan work the best)
1/4 cup bread crumbs - I used Italian style
Salt and Pepper

1. Preheat oven to 400F. Spray a mini-muffin tin with non-stick spray, set aside.
2. Grate the zucchini and then place in a dish towel to squeeze out the excess water- like when using frozen spinach; if you skip this part, the middle of the zucchini tots will be really soggy while the outside gets crispy and no one wants that.
3. In a bowl combine, the egg, onion, cheese, bread crumbs, zucchini, salt and pepper.
4. Using a spoon or a cookie scoop, fill the muffin cups to the top. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until the top is browned and set.


Note: I didn't use onion. Also, I used Panko bread crumbs, and that helped with the crispness. I substituted Mozzarella in place of the cheddar bc it's what I had on hand. It worked perfectly.

Yummy, Mommy!
 And I know this is very unlady like, but I guess because I've been taking so many pictures of her eating, she thinks she has to show me the food in her mouth now. At every meal. And when I say no, no! She laughs. Silly Girl!

Do you have any interesting tot food ideas? If so, I'd love to see them. Link up here!

1 comment:

Leah said...

those sound delicious! i made something similar one time, but did potatoes and zucchinis. i love hashbrowns/hashbrown-like things...yummy