Wednesday, July 11, 2012

RedLeg Disappointment

If you follow me on twitter, you know that last night was a big night for us.
It was Aaron's RedLeg Social. 
In other words, all the guys in his unit [& their significant others] got together, had dinner, and found out their next duty stations.
I've been thinking about it since last week!

On our 'wishlist' we put:
Ft. Carson, CO
Ft. Bragg, NC
Ft. Campbell, KY
Ft. Stewart, GA
Hawaii

I was getting so excited thinking that we'd be closer to home, or in a more interesting place!
We got to the Patriot's Club around 6, & everyone was just waiting around to be let into the main hall.
Everyone else's nervousness/jitters seemed to calm me down, which was weirdly unexpected.
They finally started letting people in, and I got so confused. Everyone raced to the area where they had everyone's place settings displayed. We found out we were sitting at table 12. When we got to table 12, there was a plaque stating our new duty station.

Ft. Sill, OK

When Aaron told me, I just stood there, shocked.
I felt like I had been slapped in the face & I had to try really, really hard not to cry in a room of 150+ people.

"Are you sure?"
"Yes."
"Is this a joke?"
"No, this is the Army."

Don't get me wrong, I like it here for the most part. But I always looked at moving here to be a brief trip. We weren't expecting to be here longer than 6 months. I know I need to get used to this, but this is just how I feel right now. I know I'll get over this in a few days & be okay with it all. I know that no matter where we live, I will make the best of it for myself & my family. 

7 comments:

Lyzz said...

Bummer, we just left Fort Stewart in April, and while I hate small towns, I miss Savannah and the beaches!

Hopefully you guys will get out of there soon.

Lin said...

Oh no, what a major bummer! I'm sorry hon.

Missus Elle said...

What a bummer! I bet you were looking forward to a new adventure, an it would have been nice to have you at Bragg!

Shirley said...

I can't even begin to comprehend what you're going through but I know that you'll pull through and make the best of it. I'm sorry you didn't get one of your choices.

Sara Strand said...

Good lord that sucks. If I had to list places I'd like to visit, honestly Oklahoma is in the bottom half. BUT, it could have been worse. I mean, it could have been Alaska. That would have sucked. ;)

erika said...

I'm sorry. :( That doesn't sound like the best way to find out...

Ashley said...

:( I don't think I would have wanted to find out that way either; I definitely would have lost it. How long will you guys be stationed there?