Wednesday, June 9, 2010

30 days of me::A Concert

Day 6: Whatever tickles your fancy

Last night, Mr. O, Aaron, & I decided to go to a concert.
We saw Emery
Terrible Things
Queens Club
Sent by Ravens
Kiros
Evolette

I've never been to a concert like this before. First of all, we were confused because we thought it was going to be at a small club, but it ended up being at a church. Honestly, the only band I had ever actually heard before was Emery. ANYWAYS...I was expecting there to be a couple hundred people there, but unless I just really suck at estimation, I don't think there were MORE than 100 people in attendance. It was very intimate and sweet.

Evolette was first. They were pretty good. Aaron said they reminded him of Paramore. I'm kind of interested in hearing their album when it comes out.

Kiros was very energetic. They are a group from Canada, and KEPT reminding us about it. Their music was good and their Tshirts were cool.

When Sent by Ravens came on, I started to feel like I was at church camp. I just remembered back in the day when they would have people come in and sing and it would be all fun, and then they would start talking about how we should give our lives to God and the mood would go from fun to serious. DON'T get me wrong. I was raised southern baptist, and I am a Christian, but I don't believe in pushing your beliefs on someone else. It didn't last long, and maybe I was overreacting, but I started to feel a little out of place. Anyways, their music was pretty good, but if I never had the opportunity to see those guys in concert again, I don't think I'd be upset.

By the time the fourth band came on, I was starting to wear out. But, Queens Club was like a breath of fresh air. The lead singer reminded me of Napoleon Dynomite, and they were totally grungey-garage band, electro crazy awesomeness. Check them out!

For those of you who don't know, Terrible things is made up of Fred [former TBS member], Josh [former Coheed&Cambria member], and Andy [former Hot Rod Circuit member]. It was really awesome. I would definitely enjoy seeing them again, and hope I get the chance to.

But what really made the night awesome was Emery. Apparently their bus had broken down, so only a few of their band members made it. AKA an acoustic show. It.was.amazing. They had us all sit down, which I was thankful for because I was exhausted at this point. They sang to us, and talked to us. They let people ask questions. It was special.

6 comments:

Cassie said...

That sounds pretty cool. Sorry I missed it!

Sara Strand said...

Wow- that sounds like an awesome concert. I love smaller settings so much better because it has more of a house party feel to it. Glad you had a fab time. ;)

Jeanette said...

Sounds like a good concert! Also I'm excited about the possible meet up!

Jaime Hungry said...

That sounds awesome. I learned after the last concert I have person space issues and don't like being touched by people I don't know. So I think I would prefer a smaller setting.

Mr O said...

I'm really glad you guys came. And I think Emery jumped up in my favorite bands list after last night

Lisa Anne said...

I've never heard of any of those bands and I work in the music industry.
Personally, I love the small local bands though, they tend to sound great and it's fun to have known them when they are at the bottom and then watch as they rise to the top. Who knows you may hear their songs on the radio one day and think to yourself, I saw them in a small church with only about 100 people.

Did you get any cool pics?