Saturday, September 7, 2013

Portion Distortion

Until recently, I had no concept of portion control. I'd usually make my meals in a similar way to how I grew up eating. A meat, a veggie, a starch, and some sort of bread. Don't get me wrong, health class taught me the food pyramid and to eat 8 servings of fruits and veggies a day, but that was something that I pushed to the very back of my mind. When I started to care about my health and body, that's when I started caring about how I ate. When I was learning to count calories, I was also learning how to portion my food. Did you know that an 8 oz chicken breast [what I used to eat on a normal basis] is actually more than TWO servings? A 'normal' serving of meat is 3 oz. At first, cutting my meat intake to this amount was a huge struggle. I just wanted to eat a WHOLE pork chop! But that was my big problem. I was constantly eating over sized portions of food, and I wouldn't just feel full afterward, I would feel stuffed. It's not a good thing, y'all. Here are a few images that are eye opening.


Since educating myself on proper portioning and caloric intake, I feel a lot better. I've lost cravings that I once had, and have found healthier alternatives to ones I still have. Even though I have the occasional splurge meal, I'm lucky to say that I no longer suffer from portion distortion. 



No comments: