Saturday, April 27, 2013

The Embarrassing Truth

Can I tell you guys a secret?
Last week I found out that I have high cholesterol.
Yep. I'm 25. 
How terribly embarrassing.
At first I was devastated. "Are you sure?" I asked the nurse.
She was positive. Blood tests don't lie.
My throat started closing up, because even though I wasn't 100% sure what that meant, I knew it wasn't good. I cried. A lot. And then, in my head I blamed the way I was raised...eating fried foods daily, drinking sweet tea instead of water, cake for breakfast. And yes, I'm sure that had something to do with it, but the minute I turned 18 I took control. I made the decisions, but it wasn't until recently that I decided I couldn't live like that anymore. At this point I've been counting calories for 3 weeks, and I feel better. I'm going to the gym 3 days a week. I'm taking nutrition classes. I have taken control. I can turn this around. I have changed my lifestyle for the better. 
The craziest thing I've heard so far? Most people my age probably have it and don't even know it. Lucky for me though, I get the chance to fix it now. I don't have to wait until it's so high I have to be prescribed medicine.
And no matter how embarrassing that is, I'm thankful I have another chance.



1 comment:

Ms. Nix said...

That is NOTHING to be embarrassed about. Like your doctor said, a lot of us probably have it and have no idea.

I'm glad you've taken matters into your own hands and are working hard to take care of yourself. :)