Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Only God can judge me...

Right? That is what I have always been told. That only God can judge me. That it is wrong for people to judge. Yet, we do it anyways. For as long as I can remember I have been the girl that didn't care what other people thought. And still, to this day, the only people that I truly value opinions from are friends and family.

Which is why I wasn't entirely pissed off when [Let's call him cowboy] I was basically told today, by cowboy, that I am living in sin; As if all of us aren't living in sin. But, whatever.
I was also always told that one sin doesn't weigh heavier than any other. So, there. Aaron and I living together is no more sinful that you judging me for said sin.

Honestly, I feel like living with someone BEFORE marriage is a good thing. If we had never lived together before, and still decided to get married, I can almost guarantee you that we would have been divorced/separated within the first year. Now though, we know each others mannerisms, and little things that we do that bug each other, and we've gotten comfortable learning and growing together as a couple. I'm sorry, cowboy, if you think that is sinful.

I don't feel like just because a couple has been married 20+ years, that they are good examples. Sure, there are golden couples out there. But most people I know aren't exactly 'happy & in love'. They have comfort in each other. They don't have to wonder where their next meal is coming from, or if they can make it on their own. They don't believe in divorce. They don't want people to think bad things of them. That doesn't make them role models.

Which leads me to the icing on the cake. Just because I don't go to church every single time the door is opened does not in any way mean that Aaron and I will end up divorced.

Thanks a lot, Cowboy, for all the advice you gave me. I feel more confident than ever having the fact that most of you are simply hypocrites reaffirmed.

5 comments:

Jeanette said...

Yeah I agree... living with someone for an extended period of time is a surefire way to figure out if you have just been comforted by a crush or if you actually think you have a future with someone. People have quirks and not everyone can deal with them.

"Cowboy" is living in the past. Just keep on living your life. No worries.

Emma @ Outmumbered said...

I totally agree :)

Cassie said...

Is this new design from Emma? It's awesome!

Ok, cowboy is an asshole. But you already know how I feel about him and about this issue. Blake and I had a long convo about him yesterday. You and I aren't the only ones who can't stand that man!

Haley Dawn said...

My fiance and I have been living together for about 1.5 years on and off (I pretty much lived with him when we were both at URI together, and then this past may marked 1 year of us living together on the cape). I wouldn't have it any other way for the exact same reasons you give. He has seen me at my best and worse and I, him. If we never lived together we would never be able to experience those times and know if we could really handle eachother 24/7. I can safely say that we can :). good luck and enjoy the wedding planning!

the girl with the pink teacup said...

I'm so sorry about being ridiculously late to all your posts.

This is exactly how I feel about living with my boyfriend. It's awful that you've had to deal with such a closed-minded (and frankly outdated) person passing 'judgement' on how you live your life. As far as I can see, you're a fantastic, generous and loving person who's living in a committed relationship with the man you will spend the rest of your life with. If that's not holy enough for Cowboy, I think he might be looking for an impossible standard that doesn't exist.

I agree with Jeanette - just keep on living your life. He's clearly a moron.