Thursday, February 17, 2011

Brats.

As a parent, if you give in to your child every single time they decide to cry because you're trying to punish them or pitch a fit [just to get them to shut up], you're basically setting them up for failure. Think about it, you're essentially letting them know that they can do whatever they want and still be rewarded for it as long as they can be super annoying to get their way. One day someone isn't going to give in to them, and that is going to totally turn their world upside down.

As a future teacher, I deal with kids like this every. single. day.
I would be so embarrassed if my kid pitched a fit with anyone, that they would have serious consequences. I'm sure you've seen that kid in the store laying on the floor kicking and screaming because his mom wouldn't buy him the toy he wanted. She gets so embarrassed she just buys it for him anyway to shut him up?
Ummm, no. Maybe because I was raised by my very strict, very old school Grandmother, I believe in actually being the boss, not letting the kids boss me. Apparently some people missed the memo.

I try not to post things that are even semi-controversial, because that's not what I'm about, but honestly...I'm tired of this. Please, grow a backbone and be a responsible parent.
I'm disabling comments on this post.