Monday, January 28, 2013

On Life

When we first found out that we were moving to Fort Sill, I was overwhelmed with negative comments. Some of the people had been here and experience first hand what the Lawton/Fort Sill area had [or didn't have] to offer. Most had not, but had 'seen on t.v.' or 'heard' about what it was like here. Not only were we moving to our first duty station, but it just so happened to be 1,000 miles away from our friends and family. It was nerve wracking, to say the least, and everyone else's two cents didn't help.
In the short time leading up to our move, I tried staying positive. 
I'd be lying if I said I didn't cry about it a few times, and I often had worries about what life would be like that far away from familiarity, but mostly, I was looking forward to our 'new' life together.
Life is what you make it.
After 7 months of living here, I'm writing this [mostly for myself], but also on the off chance that someone else can relate to how I was feeling.

This is what I heard:
There's nothing to do in Lawton.
The crime rate is terrible.
Better watch out, it's tornado alley!

This is how I feel:
There is so much to do in Lawton! You have to be proactive, but there are lots of things to do. Even if the things going on in town aren't your cup of tea, OKC is 1.5 hours away, Wichita Falls less than an hour, and Dallas is about 3 hours away. I guarantee you will find something to do with ALL of these big city choices so close by!

As for the crime rate, there are several websites that you can go to to check it out. For me, someone telling me how bad the crime rate in the town was did nothing but scare me. It certainly didn't stop me from moving because the move wasn't my choice to begin with. All I can say about that is either live on base, or live on the good side of town [which we do], and take all of the necessary precautions to make sure that you're not a victim due to your own stupidity [locking cars, deadbolts, windows, etc].

We haven't been here during 'peak' tornado season [March - May], but the weather hasn't been too bad here thus far. I've survived my fair share of tornadoes in Alabama, though.

There are always going to be people trying to ruin your happiness, trying to sway your opinion, trying to make you miserable. Misery loves company.
One of my biggest struggles is trying to see the positive in all situations, but at least I'm trying.


2 comments:

Missus Elle said...

Before I went there I though Ft. sill sounded like hell! But after visiting it, p and I actually think we'd like to end up there one day. It's just like what we had at Fort Riley, not bad at all, just small and you have to find new things to do, but everything you need is right there.

Heather Fox said...

I couldn't agree more with this. When we were out at Irwin it was all negative. I come from a really small town, so I didn't mind in the least. Ha ha I made the most of my time, and dealt with it. Now everywhere we go will have more options than Irwin did. Ha

Oh, I am here from the walkabout.

Nice to "meet" you!