Sunday, August 25, 2013

Simple Tips & My Current Workout

Sometimes people ask me what my 'secret' is to my weight loss. I WISH I had some sort of secret that I could patent and become a huge money maker, but truth is, nothing that I've been doing is a secret. There is no 'get rich quick scheme' or a magic pill to get the weight to fall off. So, I'll share with you some tips and tricks that have gotten me this far.

1. Keep up with your progress from the beginning.
Use myfitnesspal, caloriecounter, or just a piece of paper. Take your measurements, your weight, & anything  else that you care to document. 

2. Pick one day a week to be your 'official' weigh in.
I weigh myself every morning, after I use the bathroom but before I eat or drink anything else. My 'official' weigh in day [the day I record my weight & measurements] is Monday. Trust me, you want to keep up with your measurements because even the weeks you don't lose a pound, you could still lose inches. And every little bit is motivation for upcoming workouts! Don't forget to take progress pictures, it's amazing to see.

3. Stay hydrated.
If you think you're drinking enough water, drink more. You should drink at least half of your body weight in ounces of water per day, OR, you could drink even more and match your weight. This is what I try to do, daily. So, 4 liters it is! 

4. Cut down on carbs/sugar.
Notice that I said cut down, not cut out. Baby steps. Obviously, if you want to completely cut these things out of your diet, then go for it. Just from my experience, I always crave something more if I tell myself I can't have it. Remember, Everything is okay in moderation.

5. Exercise!
Find something that works for you! Don't feel obligated to do insanity or zumba just because everyone else is doing it. Try various workouts and then stick with the ones that make you feel the best! 

6. Don't skip breakfast.
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day for a reason...it kick starts your metabolism. If you're beginning your weight loss journey, you need to get your metabolism in check. There are several things that you can do, start by eating breakfast every day.

7. Stop making excuses.
It's so, so easy to say, "I can't because..." 
[source]
8. Treat yo'self!
When you've worked your butt off to meet a goal and it finally happens, go 'head and get you a mocha cookie crumble. You deserve it.

As for my current workout, I've started doing the Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. I think this is my third try with it [I've never made it the full 30 days before!] but I'm hoping that this time around is different! 
Let me start out by saying that I am not a fan of JM. Even though I think she's annoying, I've known several people who have gotten great results from her workouts, so commence with the volume on zero.

Have any tips to add to the list? I'd love to hear them!

No comments: