Sunday, April 14, 2013

Sneaky Mom Meals

I always say that my daughter was born hungry, because, well...she was.
While I was being sewn up, the nurses fed her an ounce of formula, and from what I've heard, she sucked it down in no time.
My sweet girl, she's always had a good appetite. She's pretty much always eaten anything I've put in front of her.
Until lately...
For the last few weeks, she hasn't been eating very much. Even her favorite foods [spaghetti and chicken nuggets!] have been pushed to the side [or thrown on the floor]. She isn't being very receptive to 'new' foods, either. Do you know how frustrating that can be?
Very.
Anyway, I've been trying to find ways to get her the nutrients that she needs while masking it with something 'fun' so she doesn't immediately start demanding to get down from her high chair [yes, she does that.]

Here's my first try:
Cheesy Carrot Quesadilla
It's as easy as it sounds and it was a huge hit.

1 Carrot, shredded
1/4 cup Cheese
1 whole wheat flour tortilla

Shred a carrot [or 4 baby carrots]. I just put them in my food processor for a few seconds, and it was perfect. Heat a skillet on medium, using olive oil spray or a little bit of butter to help it brown. Add the quesadilla, carrot, and as much or as little cheese as you think is appropriate for your child. I used very little (1/4 cup) since Adelei already has digestive issues. Once the cheese has melted, just fold the tortilla in half and cut into 4 triangles. Wa-La! I served it with a side of raw carrots and homemade ranch dip.



I know I can't be the only one going through this phase, so I decided to document it, in the off chance that someone else just as frustrated may come across it. If you have any sneaky mom meals, feel free to share them! If you take a picture of your sneaky mom meal, use hashtag #sneakymommeal on instagram or twitter. Let's help each other out!

1 comment:

Missus Elle said...

You know Ev is super picky! But I'm going to do that!! She love carrots and its a good way to get some more veggies in her.